Bootloader woes

Nick Stetich yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:17:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Grant,

I've never had any luck booting with the option key; I
usually just get a blank screen.  However, using Open
Firmware has done the trick for me every time.  I
think there are several articles in the archives of
the yellowdog-general mailing list that deal with Open
Firmware commands and what's going on behind the
scenes.

This is the boiled down procedure that has worked for
me:

Assuming you have a computer with a new world ROM and
an IDE hard drive that you run YDL off of,

Boot into Open Firmware by holding cmd-option-p-r.  At
the command prompt, type

boot hd:x,yaboot

where x is the partition number of your boot
partition.  Once you get YDL booted, run ybin as root,
and that should update the PRAM so you boot into
yaboot every time.

Nick