Sawfish can't open display

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:28:38 -0700

> I manually installed sawfish when I found that only KDE was available
> on my 8600 YDL3.0
>
> I have successfully run KDE (albeit no sound, the problem I'm trying
> to work on). But when I try to run sawfish I get:
>
> sawfish: Can't open display:

Sawfish is just a window manager, not X. You need X running first, then
sawfish will manage your windows and sessions, etc. It sounds like you're
just doing this:

$ sawfish
sawfish: Can't open display:
$

Here are two ways you can get sawfish running:

= = = = Way number one = = = =
$ xinit
[Now, when the terminal and nasty X cursor in a big ole grey X session
arrive:]
$ sawfish &

will get sawfish managing your X session.

= = = = Way number two = = = =
$ startx /usr/bin/sawfish

That should do it, assuming that sawfish is in /usr/bin. Put in the right
path for it, of course. It's important that you provide the full path, too.
The startx script looks for a leading / and if it finds it, will pass that
to X as the window manager.

Bill