Talking to a networked Apple Laserwriter with YDL3

Rich Stanton yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:43:58 +0100

This seems to have come up before & there are loads of FAQs and HOWTOs
on the web, but all are different & most have just got me more confused
rather than solved my problem.  All I want to do is print to an Apple
Laserwriter that is connected to the network & uses appletalk.  I ran
"insmod appletalk" which worked fine, then downloaded the latest
netatalk source & compiled & installed that.

I then ran both Atalkd & Afpd.  Running Nbplkup now lists a load of
apple computers & printers on the network - so far so good.  The
question is where do I go from here.  papstatus -p "name:laserwriter"
gives 'status:idle', so it seems I can 'talk' to the printer.  However
running
pap -p "name:LaserWriter" untitled.eps
started to work in that it listed several status:idle messages, then
several status:busy messages.  However nothing ever came out of the
printer & eventually it stopped & said the rest of the file wouldn't be
printed.  I don't know if this is indicative of a problem or not!!
However I am at a loss on how to install a driver.  I read a couple of
faqs such as this one:

http://members.optushome.com.au/tomdavies/papbackend.html

However after setting up the printer through the web interface I tried
to print a test page but got 'error connecting to localhost:631'.  I'm
sure a mac distro like ydl must have ways of making this easy, but I'm a
bit lost, help!!

Thanks