how to use samba

Joe Froehlich yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 07:15:33 -0400

Andy,

Make sure you've all applied all the latest service packs on all your
Windows machines. Also, remember that Windows machines take some time to
broadcast their NetBIOS names across the network. So, if you make changes,
the machines may not show up immediately on your network. On the Windows
machines that do NOT appear, try uninstalling and then re-installing the
TCP/IP protocol.

Finally, Samba isn't a Windows thing...it's a Linux thing. All Windows
machines since the release of Windows 95 use SMB, which is a protocol for
accessing network services. Samba is an an "application" on Linux machines
that implements the equivalent of Windows File Sharing.

Joe