how to use samba

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:19:40 -0700

> Andy,
>
> Make sure you've all applied all the latest service packs on all your
> Windows machines. Also, remember that Windows machines take
> some time to
> broadcast their NetBIOS names across the network. So, if you
> make changes,
> the machines may not show up immediately on your network. On
> the Windows
> machines that do NOT appear, try uninstalling and then
> re-installing the
> TCP/IP protocol.
>
> Finally, Samba isn't a Windows thing...it's a Linux thing. All Windows
> machines since the release of Windows 95 use SMB, which is a
> protocol for
> accessing network services. Samba is an an "application" on
> Linux machines
> that implements the equivalent of Windows File Sharing.
>
> Joe

<snip>

> > Hi
> >
> > I have tried this procedure below, and it only halfway works.
> >
> > I can only see windows servers that are running Windows
> 2000 or XP.  My
> > mac os x and my other windows machines can all see all of
> the servers.
> > Is there a reason for this?  Is samba something new? do old
> windopws NT
> > servers use it?

Andy,

As Joe said, the NetBIOS names sometimes take a while to propagate. But what
you're describing sounds like a problem with encrypted passwords. At one
point in time, M$ changed the format for password authentication in SMB. It
was originally user/pass in clear text so they fixed that up and broke some
of the older Win95/98 boxes. If you fiddle with the Encrypt Password setting
in the smb.conf file, you should be able to see the other Win boxes on the
net.

Bill