how do you install more packages?

Joe Villari yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:52:51 -0400

That's one way of doing it. Read the man page on rpm to see all the
options and flags; $man rpm. You can sometimes download the latest rpms
from the developer's or project's website.

I prefer to compile the source code binaries. They are more up to date
then YDL's rpms and I find rpms a bit problematic. It goes something
like this:

1-download the source code binary, usually a .tar.gz file
2- gunzip and untar the file (read the man pages for gzip and tar)
3- run $./configure
4- run $make
5- as root run $makefile
6- if all went well; you're done