Zowie crazy display problems with WindowMaker and xterm

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:24:14 -0700

Yikes!

Since the giganticosity of KDE fills the pitiful 48MB of RAM on the PB 3400
and spills liberally onto the disk, I installed WindowMaker hoping its
lighter footprint would easy my pain. Well, it does but there is a far
greater menace. When I start an xterm it display barely legible gook.

Here's a for instance:

For instance, my prompt is:

~
mackey$

What I see is (a blurry)

~
camyek$

and that's not all! All the letters are backwards!

Any gurus know of a font change or something that might make my life
meaningful again. The Monitor stanza in my XF86Config file says this:

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier  "Monitor0"
  VendorName  "Monitor Vendor"
  ModelName   "Montior Model"
  HorizSync   31.5 - 37.9
  VertRefresh 50.0 - 70.0
  Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Bill

BTW, if, from my Win2k box running Cygwin, I

ssh -f mackey xterm -ls

the xterm pops right up and it looks great. I have WindowMaker as the
manager on Cygwin.