YDL 3.0 Install on ppc 604e

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:44:15 EDT

--part1_1c6.ae6370d.2c162f7f_boundary

Okie dokie.  I got everything working.... anaconda started up fine.  I set
1200MB of space for YDL 3, thinking I might het 7.6 or maybie 9.1 or something
layter.  Of course, when it came install time, I needed another 600MB of space.
 So I hit the back button, but it wouldn't let me edit the partitions again.
So I quit.  Now Mac OS is dead, and I can't boot up on ANYTHING.  The only
floppies I have are for OS 7.5, and they won't boot on a 7300.  All I get is the
pretty little floppy with the question mark.
Any help?
thanx,
ES

> To run the YDL 3.0 installer CD, you need to have copied the ramdisk
> image from the CD to the system folder in the hard drive. And likewise
> the Linux Kernels folder. If you've got those in place on the HD, then
> within BootX, click on prefs and select the ramdisk image, and then the
> boot kernel (i.e., the vmlinux file with "boot" in its name) from the
> popup menu for kernels. I'm basically repeating stuff that is in the
> guide to installation - so I'm not sure if this is redundant for you
> and maybe I'm missing something else about your setup.
>
> Madhu
>
> On Monday, Jun 9, 2003, at 10:02 America/Phoenix, <MoC888@aol.com>
> wrote:
>

> > I've got bootx running.  What you say makes perfect sense, and I'll
> > probably try it, but how do I get bootx to run the CD once it's
> > working?  When I hit the linux button it tries to load Linux from a
> > kernal, but where the OS doesn't exist. (I have the kernal working)
> > Any help?
> > Thanx,
> > ES
> >
> > I think you can get away with using mac os 7.6 (which was probably the
> > original os on the 7300) in a small partition to run BootX. And I
> > believe 7.6 is available for downloads on apple's websites. That way
> > you can download it legally and get what you need.
> >
> > hope that helps,
> >
> > Madhu
> >
> > On Monday, Jun 9, 2003, at 09:07 America/Phoenix, <MoC888@aol.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >        I've got a PowerMac 7300/180.  I'm fairly new to linux, only
> > > having
> > > used Mandrake 9.1/8.2 on x86 for a month now.  I can't get the Bootx
> > > thingy
> > > quite figured out.  I want to install YDL 3.0 on a 2 gig HD that
> > > currently has Mac
> > > OS 8.1.  I have no unpartitioned HD space, and I can't reinstall OS
> > 8.1
> > > because the previous owner didn't give me the CD. (Therefor making it
> > > an illegal
> > > copy of OS 8.1, that's why I'm ditching it.)
> > >     Any help?
> > > Thanx,
> > > ES

--part1_1c6.ae6370d.2c162f7f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>Okie dokie.&nbsp; I got e=
verything working.... anaconda started up fine.&nbsp; I set 1200MB of space=20=
for YDL 3, thinking I might het 7.6 or maybie 9.1 or something layter.&nbsp;=
 Of course, when it came install time, I needed another 600MB of space.&nbsp=
; So I hit the back button, but it wouldn't let me edit the partitions again=
.&nbsp; So I quit.&nbsp; Now Mac OS is dead, and I can't boot up on ANYTHING=
.&nbsp; The only floppies I have are for OS 7.5, and they won't boot on a 73=
00.&nbsp; All I get is the pretty little floppy with the question mark.<BR>
Any help?<BR>
thanx,<BR>
ES<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">To run the YDL 3.0 installer CD=
, you need to have copied the ramdisk <BR>
image from the CD to the system folder in the hard drive. And likewise <BR>
the Linux Kernels folder. If you've got those in place on the HD, then <BR>
within BootX, click on prefs and select the ramdisk image, and then the <BR>
boot kernel (i.e., the vmlinux file with "boot" in its name) from the <BR>
popup menu for kernels. I'm basically repeating stuff that is in the <BR>
guide to installation - so I'm not sure if this is redundant for you <BR>
and maybe I'm missing something else about your setup.<BR>
<BR>
Madhu<BR>
<BR>
On Monday, Jun 9, 2003, at 10:02 America/Phoenix, &lt;MoC888@aol.com&gt; <BR=

wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; I've got bootx running.&nbsp; What you say makes perfect sense, and I'l=
l <BR>
&gt; probably try it, but how do I get bootx to run the CD once it's <BR>
&gt; working?&nbsp; When I hit the linux button it tries to load Linux from=20=
a <BR>
&gt; kernal, but where the OS doesn't exist. (I have the kernal working)<BR>
&gt; Any help?<BR>
&gt; Thanx,<BR>
&gt; ES<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; I think you can get away with using mac os 7.6 (which was probably the<=

&gt; original os on the 7300) in a small partition to run BootX. And I<BR>
&gt; believe 7.6 is available for downloads on apple's websites. That way<BR=

&gt; you can download it legally and get what you need.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; hope that helps,<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Madhu<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; On Monday, Jun 9, 2003, at 09:07 America/Phoenix, &lt;MoC888@aol.com&gt=
;<BR>
&gt; wrote:<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've got a PowerMac 7300=
/180.&nbsp; I'm fairly new to linux, only<BR>
&gt; &gt; having<BR>
&gt; &gt; used Mandrake 9.1/8.2 on x86 for a month now.&nbsp; I can't get th=
e Bootx<BR>
&gt; &gt; thingy<BR>
&gt; &gt; quite figured out.&nbsp; I want to install YDL 3.0 on a 2 gig HD t=
hat<BR>
&gt; &gt; currently has Mac<BR>
&gt; &gt; OS 8.1.&nbsp; I have no unpartitioned HD space, and I can't reinst=
all OS <BR>
&gt; 8.1<BR>
&gt; &gt; because the previous owner didn't give me the CD. (Therefor making=
 it<BR>
&gt; &gt; an illegal<BR>
&gt; &gt; copy of OS 8.1, that's why I'm ditching it.)<BR>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Any help?<BR>
&gt; &gt; Thanx,<BR>
&gt; &gt; ES<BR>
&gt;<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>