Downloading source code

Joe Villari yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:51:52 -0400

After dowloading the source you need to uncompress it and then compile it.

Most source comes as .tar.gz files. Run the command, I usually do this
in my home directory:

tar -xvzf name_of_file.tar.gz (man tar and man gzip for more info)

Thiw will usually create a directory called name_of_file; change into
that directory:

cd name_of_file

Now you are ready for the compile. There should be some README or
INSTALL instructions which you should look at. You can do this with a
text editor, I use vim:

vi INSTALL

After seeing if ther are any special needs you usually run:

./configure
make (could take awhile depending upon complexity, your hardware, etc)
make install (run this last command as root)

If you had no errors in the above steps your done and ready to go.

Joe