YDL-3 boot problem with adaptec 2940 uw scsi

Tobey Wheelock yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:55:49 -0400

> I have looked through previous posts to the mail lists and it seems that some
> people with ATTO scsi cards have had simaler problems i have checked out the proposed solutions but dont seem to be in a possition to implement any of them
> as they involve either recompiling the kernel or  adding a kernel module using an initial ram disk (initrd.img)  Both these options seem a little scary but what the hell i am willing to give it a try, however in both cases you seem to need as a pre-requisit a system that boots to linux.

I had the same problem on my 7300. For me, the solution was recompiling
the kernel using the instructions at
http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml

However, I have two hard drives, so I was able to boot into 2.3 on one
HD and then copy the new kernel to the HD with 3.0.

Have you considered adding a second HD? 4.5G SCSIs are dirt cheap now,
and about 9 months ago I got a new 9G 10k drive for $25 plus shipping.

Sincerely,
Tobey Wheelock