Monitor and CD drive problems on new G4

Claude Flener yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:57:03 +0300

Hi all,

I just installed YDL 3.0 several times on my G=E7 MDD dual 1.25 GHZ. The
reason for the several installs is that I always got a blank screen after
the install and after the yaboot.

Booting linux-safe from the CD does not work, as it always exits with a
kernel panic (can't mount the VFS on 16:01 or 02:00, and asks for a proper
root=3D argument, but I got no clue what the numbers mean, and what to put as
a proper argument).
Anyways, so i re-installed the whole thing, and set the boot loader (yaboot=
)
to text as default, but still, I get a blank screen.

I use a Samsung SyncMaster 172t, as a display, by the way, and the graphics
card is an ATI Raedon 9000. So I figured, maybe if I don't use the DVI
cable, but an analog cable instead, for the screen, it might work, and hey,
it does :)

But, big BUT, I need to change the cables for the screen now, every time I
want to boot into Linux.
Very unsatisfactory situation, because I insist on using the DVI cable with
OSX, for quality reasons.
Also, the maximum resolution I get as a choice in the prefs is 1024x768,
whereas the native resolution of the screen is 1280x1024.
Does anyone know where to look for Linux drivers, or hacked drivers for
Linux, for stuff that is not supported by manufacturers?

I tried the CD that came with the screen, to see if there were any drivers
on there, but that lead me straight to my next problem: I can't seem to ope=
my CD drive (it's a Superdrive). The Eject button on the keboard gives
absolutely no reaction, and neither do any of the function buttons (well th=
function buttons give some reactions, but none opens the CD tray).
I rebooted the machine using the command key to get to the boot screen, and
put the CD into the drive there, then booted Linux, and Then I can mount th=
CD without a problem, but I can't open the drive...?

Any tips are very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Claude