2.3 Installer Crashing During Partitioning

Daniel Apodaca yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:57:22 -0600

Hey everyone,

OK I'm sure that this question has been asked a million times before,
but here goes.   And a hearty thanks in advance for any advice that you
may have:

Problem Statement:
I'm attempting to install YDL 2.3 from CD on a PowerMac 6500.  The
installer repeatedly crashes during drive partitioning/formatting.

Stats are:
PowerMac 6500
250 Mhz
32 MB RAM
4 GB IDE
Floppy/CD/Zip

Procedure:
1. Partitioned the drive first time using Apple Drive Setup: first
portion unallocated, last portion a 500 MB partition for Mac OS 9.

2. Installed Mac OS 9.

3. Rebooted.

4. Installed BootX extension.

5. Rebooted.

6. Set BootX to run YDL, with text-based installer for RAM Disk.

7. Run installer (default install, US keyboard, etc), my drive map
looks like this:
hda6 boot loader 10MB (YDL installer)
hda7 mac os 9 500 MB (Apple Drive Setup)
hda8 swap 128 MB (YDL installer)
hda9 linux 3465 MB (YDL installer)