Yellow Dog on Macintosh 8200/120 System

Kenneth Browne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:44:14 -0500

On 13 Mar 2003 at 20:25, Ellis Skinazi wrote:

> Note that the DIMM's are 5v FPM or EDO and NOT the normal SDRAM sold for
> PC's today ... even though they have the same 168 pins. Stick to the
> standard and use 5v FPM DIMM's.

I've got a PPC 5400/200 that uses those 5v 168 pind DIMMS as well, I found to
64 megs BRAND NEW sticks on eBay and the seller always has them listed so I
believe he has a regular supply. I paid about $25-30 each, if I remember. They're
more than the regular SDRAM, but not outrageously so.

In fact, I have two 32MB sticks left over that I replaced with the 64's. My machine
maxes out at 136 MB (8 on the mobo). I could look up the information for HUW if
you'd like.

> Remember that all Linux distros can be exhilarating, soul-destroying,
> pleasurable, painful, fun, tedious etc. and always challenging ... you pays
> your money and takes your chance :^o ... but success in taming the beast is
> immensely gratifying.

I'm finding the above to be all too true with my Mac. I've installed Linux Mandrake
and Redhat on ibm clones with little problem, but my Mac gives me a gravelly
looking GUI or text only, and then gets stuck in the package selection area. I had
a reply the other day, but haven't had time to try it out yet. I think I'm going to
have to start from scratch with formatting, reinstalling the OS (9.1) and trying YDL
anew. (I had started out trying to install Mandrake and had similar problems, and
I'm wondering if I left something from Mandrake on the hdd that could be
complicating matters???
> The sticking point is RAM. Go to <bttp://www.datamem.com> my
> favorite. Today's prices are $19 for a 64 meg DIMM and $24.95 for a
> 128 meg DIMM. Apple disavows 128s saying they work but have not been
> tested. I've had 128 DIMMS in my upgraded 8600 for three years with
> no complaints. These machines usually work better if you put pairs of
> matching DIMMs in paired slots (you have 8 slots). Get two 128s and
> be done and happy!

If the 8200 has 8 slots, does that mean it could take LOTS OF RAM, or is there s
built in limit on DIMM size and combined capacity?
> BTW, YDL support seems silent on the 8200, but refers you to
> <http://www.penguinppc.org> which lists the machine as Old World
> compatible.
My PPC likewise is listed as compatible, but so far :-(***Ken Browne clacking the
keyboard in Lee in the beautiful Berkshire Hills***
                   reply to: kbrowne.ma@REMOVEverizon.net