Install on one Mac, use on another?

Markus Deistler yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
17 Mar 2003 23:33:17 +0100

On Son, 2003-03-16 at 10.57 pm James W. Walker wrote:

> Suppose I have an external SCSI drive hooked to an 8600 and install YDL
> there.  Would I be able to move the drive to a 7200 and use Linux

Yes! Just install BootX to the MacOS-side of both Macs, and the kernels
etc. as usual. It works even for quite different Macs which require
different kernels - I once hooked my YDL-disk to a Nubus-Pmac which
boots with a special patched kernel with Apple's MkLinux Booter and the
only issue was that depmod complained that it couldn't locate any
suitable kernel modules at startup, which can be easily fixed.

If the PPC 7200 happens to have a second internal SCSI-disk (or another
external one where you hook the SCSI-drive) and if you use the old
static devfs (which is very likely on YDL2.3) you may have to edit fstab
somewhen (eg. just before you shutdown on the PPC 8600) and change
everything referring to /dev/sdb* to /dev/sdc* (or /dev/sde* if it
becomes the fourth disk on the PPC 7200 etc.). If you hook your
SCSI-drive to a Mac (eg PPC 6400/6500) which has an internal IDE-disk
you might even go backwards and change sdb* to sda*, because your
SCSI-drive now becomes the first one in the SCSI-chain, but I am not
sure about this.

Best Regards, Markus