YaBoot on New (fairly) G4

Thomas Fowler yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:33:43 -0500

I want to try YellowDog on my G4 but don't want to completely cut the
imbilical...yet

I have an old 8GB hard drive on my desk and space inside the G4 on the
ATA 66 bus.

Here is the drive setup...

ATA100 Primary - IBM 60Gig - Mac OS X

ATA66 Primary - WD 60 Gib - Backup drive.  Formatted HFS+, no OS

ATA66 Secondary - possibly the old 8Gig with YellowDog

Generically, can I install yellowdog and yaboot on this drive and tell
the Mac to boot from it?  Can I do this without modifiying the existing
boot disk?  can you tell Open Firmware which drive to boot off of, or
do you have to have the yaboot bootstrap partition on the primary drive
(the one that MacOS X is on right now- ATA100 primary).  I would like
to be presented a menu when I turn the computer on asking which OS to
boot from, OS X or YDL.

Thanks is advance for a seemingly simple question.

Tom Fowler