Booting from YDL 3.0 CD on Apus 2000

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 01 May 2003 13:00:45 +0100

--On Thursday, May 1, 2003 10:20 am +0000 ydl@beneath.plus.com wrote:

> I have an old Apus 2000 Mac i got cheap, and it has neither a MacOS CD
> nor  MacOS installed on the HDD. I thought i would stick YDL on it...
> However, when i put the CD in and turn the machine on, it doesn't seem to
> want to boot from the CD. I burned it from the ISO on FTP, and have
> checked that the CD is okay by mounting it on my x86 box.

It's not a new world mac so it won't boot from the YDL disc, see the
information on BootX.

> What happens:
> Black and white 1 pixel chequered screen comes up, with a smiling Mac
> picture in the centre... a few seconds later, a floppy disc with a
> flashing question mark appears in the center.
> I think this machine *can* boot from CD, as i put a MacOS 9.2 CD in it
> once, and though that OS doesn't seem to be compatible with this machine,
> it did get as far as booting the CD and displaying a message which told
> me  as such.

They do boot from a mac CD but it has to be one of the special CDs that
came with it (for example it uses FWB toolkit not the apple cd drivers).
Often you have to cmd-option-shift-backspace to boot these machines off the
CD rather than the 'c' boot option.  The last supported OS CD I have for
these machines is 8.0.

> So, is there any way to install YDL on this machine... maybe a YDL boot
> floppy? I've been looking on Google for a while with this... the closest
> i  can find is something that requires using the Tasty Morsels CD - but
> if  this YDL CD wont boot, i am sceptical that that one will too.

The YDL site says these machines aren't officially supported but should
work.  You'd need to follow the instructions for BootX not yaboot.  ie.
install a valid MacOS on a small partition and then install YDL on another
partition using BootX on the MacOs partition.  I've not tried it myself but
now you mention it I have a load of these machines just hanging around
doing nothing...

Suzanne