yaboot won't boot OS X

Paolo G. Cordone yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 3 May 2003 22:33:52 +0100

>Hello,
>
>      I just finished getting all of my yellow dog 3.0 installation up and
>running, but it seems that now I can't get yaboot or open firmware to boot
>my OS X partition.  I find this strange because I have no problem booting
>this OS X partition through mac-on-linux, nor did I have a problem booting
>this with YellowDog 2.3.  When I try to boot the OS X partition from the
>yaboot prompt I get the following error: "DEFAULT CATCH, code=fffffff6."  My
>yaboot.conf file and the output of pdisk -l follow.  I am running YellowDog
>3.0 on a 2002 15" PowerBook g4.  Any insight into this problem would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Jay

Jay,

I have had the same problem, although I use an OldWorld Mac (G3 beige
desktop) at work. After installing YDL 3 onto a second hard disk, my
main HD containing OS X 10.2.5 became unusable. By this I mean that
when I boot up, the open firmware screen comes up with a DEFAULT
CATCH message you get which prevents me from booting into X. I get
the 'bye' option of continuing using classic (which lets me boot off
a CD), but if I try the 'boot' with the default device, it tells me
that the CLAIM cannot be executed. Typing 'reset-all' did not work.

If I boot off classic, I can see all the files on the hard disk
itself, so data has not been lost. I am not so sure how to reset the
firmware.
In one of the howtos, there is some explanation about doing something
similar for yaboot and NewWorld machines. It says to type 'printenv'
and then 'setenv boot-device hd:x,\\:tbxi', with 'x' indicating the
partition to boot from.

Have you tried that? I am at home now and will return to my office
only on Tuesday, as we have a long weekend here in Ireland, but I am
a bit anxious that I will have to re-install OS X, plus upgrades and
all the applications I had, if nothing will bring back my hard disk.

Let me know if you find a solution.

Ciao,

Paolo
--
Paolo G. Cordone
Book Review Editor

"I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best"
   --Oscar Wilde