I've got YellowDog installed -- where is Xconfigurator

John yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 15:10:37 +1000

I've successfully installed Yellow Dog Linux 3 on a lamp-type iMac.

Everything worked OK until I started messing with the display settings.

I chose a display setting that made the monitor unusable -- and I was
completely stuck.

Research told me that I could configure the XWindows system with
something called Xconfigurator.

This was not installed with YD, and when I got into text mode, I
couldn't fix the monitor problem.

In the end I was so stuck I gave up and reinstalled.

I've since found an RPM file for Xconfigurator, and I've downloaded
it and done an rpm -i xconfigfilename.rpm, which didn't give me any
error messages, but still, when I type Xconfigurator, I get nothing.

So, a few questions:

Where did I go wrong, and how could I have fixed this monitor problem?

As YD boots up for me automatically into Graphic Mode, how would I
over-ride this on a future boot? As it is, I used shift-alt-F2 to go
into text mode, but with xwindows still running as well.

Should I have Xconfigurator? Is that the right command for installing
it? For running it? Would it, if I had managed to run it, have
allowed me to fix my monitor problem?

And finally, the reason I was messing with monitor settings is
because the monitor is behaving weirdly -- it's wrapped around, just
a little, so that the far right portion of the monitor, about 5%, is
appearing over on the left. It's a small thing but very irritating.
Any ideas why this would be happening? How to fix it?

John Horner                            (+612 / 02) 9333 2110
Senior Developer, ABC Online              http://abc.net.au/