fdisk on a new hdd

mauro yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 08:47:33 +0200

Well, it seems that YDL, needs absolutely a previous MacOs installation to
be installed in a HD.
So, you should Create a small (at least 2GB but can be much more if you want
use both the OSs) mac os partition, installing there a basical (or full)
OS9. Then you must set the OS9 to start the installation of YDL, putting the
right files in the right folders of the "file system" (YDL calls in this way
the Mac Installation). Then i advice you to choose in BootX the kernel
"vmlinux-2.4.20-8dBOOT" with the "use ramdisk button" checked, it will drive
you with anaconda (a nice and simple graphical installer) throug the
installation, and (due to the large size of the HD) you can choose
 to do an automatic partition or a graphical manual one.
The bootloader (lilo), will be installed into the first 1024 cilinder of the
master slave, otherwise how you could choose the OSs to use? But every
Distro do it automatically, asking before... heh.
Another way is to partition all the disk before in at least 4 partition: 1=
mac extended (for the file system and to use BootX) 2 = swap  / 3 = root / 4
= home (swap could be small, as 256 MB). The best way is to partition with
the utility HDT, cause the mac's Drive Setup doesn't works that fine for
Linux partition.
But with anaconda, you can leave it to do the job for you... do a choose and
good look.