"Guide to Installation" my foot!

Beartooth yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 25 May 2003 14:41:18 -0700 (PDT)

	All right, I bought the CDs, intending to install over the top
of 2.3 -- and sacrifice everything already there <gnash, grate, snarl>,
since there seems to be no option of preserving any, as for instance RH9
does. That's one crock already, though not a surprise. But 2.3 is so bad
at the multiple connections you need with a laptop that it's gotta be
done,

	The accompanying book and pamphlet both insist that one use the
so-called Guide to Installation, printed out from the Yellowdoglinux.com
site. All I can find seems to be identical to the little pamphlet
(called a Companion, not a guide), which came with the CDs, which
insists that it is only an addendum. That's another and more disgusting
crock. Joseph Heller, are you YDL's silent partner??

	So I decide to try to go ahead -- after all, they brag about how
easy it is, and how much like RH9 (which I have just installed on my
desktop).

	First I go read the manual and the non-guide "companion" --
which tell me to start by repartitioning, using the apple install disk.
So I go dig that out. When I get to something remotely resembling the
place they tell me, a window labelled Select a Destination, there are
images of hard drives labelled Mac OS X 10.3GB, share 1.0GB, and a faint
image of a CD labelled Mac OS X Install CD 639MB

	Now I'm supposed to double-click on the install CD. But if you
put a cursor near it, you get a message saying "This disk is dimmed
because it is read only" -- and if you double-click it anyway, nothing
happens. You can't even get to the Utilities folder, let alone one
inside it. Still another crock, and still getting worse.

	All right, trying to get out of that, I go back and re-boot,
with the C key held down till my arm about falls off, while the CD makes
a huge racket, just as I did (and it did) before. That simply closes the
loop, and gets me back to the dim disk. Still another crock.

	So maybe it's just the ostensibly fine manual that's snafu'd.
Put in 3.0 Install 1 without reartitioning first; maybe that'll do it.

	Of course they don't tell you you have to hold C again -- unless
it's in that boot message, which is so tiny and goes by in seconds,
anyway; so you waste still more time. But you do eventually get to
"Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux" -- which tells you yet again to read the
fine but non-extant Guide ...

	[To Be Continued -- stay tuned]

--
Beartooth Implacable <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
FREE at last: Retired to the Mountains, No Mortgage