iMac RevA Linux --SUCCESS!!!

Goofus yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 31 May 2003 05:18:55 -0400

Maybe I'm too excited too soon, but I just managed (somehow) to FINALLY get
Linux installed and running on my iMac!

PROBLEMS & HELP NEEDED:

1.  Once in Linux -- can't connect to the internet.  Neither of the "found"
modems (there's only one modem) will connect, resulting in "the modem did
not respond".  Error message box reading "/etc/resolv.conf is missing or
can't be read!" is telling me to ask the system administrator to create this
file, even though I AM the sys admin and logged in as such.

2.  Once in Linux -- despite external speakers being plugged in, all sound
is being played from the front iMac speakers with NO volume control.  Even
plugging in headphones on the front jacks doesn't mute anything, nor does it
pump audio through the headphones -- this is annoying to my roomates at 4AM.

3.  Yaboot won't boot MacOS (9), it's throwing "default catch!" errors --
the only way I can boot to MacOS is through MOL, which presents me with few
Mac features.  The MacOS is almost useless to me now, but there's still
three or four things I need that require the ability to boot directly into
it.

4.  Can't make the correct time "stick" -- I set my location, set the time,
but every reboot puts me five hours behind MY time, even though the correct
location is still set/applied/etc...

SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!  It's taken me three weeks (to the hour) just to get
Linux running on this thing, now I've lost MacOS access and can't get Linux
on the net to try to update it.

I've wasted enough time on this already, I can waste no more.  If I can't
run both Linux and MacOS 9 on this machine successfully, then I don't need
either.

Thanks