Pardon a >real< newbie question . . .

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:12:42 -0500

I keep seeing references to "the new isos for YDL3.0.1". Would someone
be kind enough to define "iso."

I have checked for a definition online, & find ref's to international
standards for fonts & also something about layered networking--neither
of which seems to have anything to do with downloading software.

Is "iso" simply the total package for downloading an entire OS, as
opposed to an rpm file for getting an individual pkg? If so, it is
something of no use at all to someone with a dialup connection, right?
(Unmanageably huge download?)

Is "iso" something that you download only in a form to burn to CD to
make an install CD? (as opposed to a file to unpack & compile from?)

Thanks for elucidation. I have some interest in YDL3.0.1, but if it
means a download orders of magnitude above that required for a pkg like
tetex or postgresql, I'll just have to wait for the CD's. (Dialup is hell!)

--Harvey