CVS server ported to YDL 3.0?

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:39:13 -0700

> I'm sorry. I didn't make it clear enough. Xinetd is already running.
> There are services listed there for anacron, httpd, syslog and others
> along with xinetd.  I've tried restarting xinetd after I defined the
> service for cvspserver, but I still get the message that says you must
> enable xinetd to use this service. It makes me believe that there is
> another place where these services must be defined for xinetd to use
> them?

I'm worried about your configuration from what you say above.

# chkconfig --list

shows you the services on your system and at which runlevels they are
activated. That's what you're referring to above with anacron, httpd, etc.
At the bottom is xinetd and then a list of ITS services (chargen, daytime,
echo, fam, etc.).

Basic differences: the services NOT under xinetd have processes associated
with them and they run when they are supposed to based on run level. The
services that ARE under xinetd control are run only when a network request
is made for them.

Basic services live in /etc/rc.d/init.d. Xinetd services live in
/etc/xinetd.d.

Look in the /etc/xinetd.d directory and you'll see files in there. You
should have one for cvs. It should look like this:

service cvspserver
{
    disable = no
    protocol = tcp
    socket_type = stream
    server  = /usr/sbin/cvspserver
    wait = no
    user = root
}

You'll need to have:

  1 - an entry in /etc/services for cvspserver
  2 - the /usr/sbin/cvspserver
  3 - "includedir /etc/xinetd.d" in /etc/xinetd.conf

If those are in place:

# service xinetd start

will bring up xinetd and start serving connection requests.

It seems like you've been through all the above. So, my questions are: At
what stage are you getting warnings/errors about xinetd? Where are the
messages showing up? What are you using to configure the cvs service? Are
you just editing the /etc/xinetd.d/cvs file or are you using a GUI tool to
do so? Are you able to connect to any of the xinetd services? You can
enable, say, chargen, and then "telnet yourhost chargen" and you should get
a huge ASCII display back. That will tell you that xinetd is working
properly.

Bill