yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #703 - 15 msgs

Bill Hughes yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:11:43 -0400

>Message: 11
>Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:01:03 -0500
>Subject: Re: YDL Stalls on Boot
>From: Clinton MacDonald <clint.macdonald@sbcglobal.net>
>To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>
>Mr. Howenstein:
>
>I don't have too much advice to offer you -- perhaps a more experienced
>head knows your symptoms. Nevertheless...

Not that I'm any more experieced than the next YDL user, but I would try reversing your partition scheme, that is:

1st Partition= YDL (15GB)
2nd Partition= 'Classic' (2GB)
3rd Partition= OSX

Although jealous of all you guys with those speedy G4's (running 9500 w/G3-500 with PCI Radeon, 544MB's RAM; YDL, 9.1 & OS-X_10.1.5"), YDL 2.3 will NOT install unless it is on the 1st partition after all of Apple's drivers/maps etc....

I'm lying of course because I have installed YDL in (MANY) a different setup; but I have noticed the YDL install script(s) do not like jumping from controller->drive->partition-> controller->drive-partition-> drive->partition-->drive->partition->partition->partition etc, etc... and have found that the only time the install goes "without a hitch" is when placing YDL on the 1st partition of the 1st drive connected to ________ controller (I use/have used a mixture of ATA & SCSI HBA's and hard drives).

I know this "theory" seems totally flawed, but this is what I've found to be the case for my Mac.

Hope that helps

Billbo Hughes