X won't start after yellowdog install on newish iBook

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:05:44 +0200 (CEST)

> I have just installed yellowdog 3.01 on a partition
> of my one year old iBook. Installation went really
> smoothly (and graphically). However on start-up
> X windows fails to launch and I get the following
> mesages:

PS in the meantime, still waiting for your help!!!???, I have been
looking at /etc/X11/XF86Config and at /var/log/XF86log.0.log
and it seems that a huge number of possible screen parameters
are being tried but none of them fit the specifications of the
monitor. I am surprised that yellowdog linux could goof up doing
this installation.  knoppix-ppc gets everything perfect without
any prompting from me at all. Anyone like to email me a working
XF86Config for a rather normal 14" iBook? I have no idea what
horizontal and vertical sync and refresh rates are needed,
amazed that X configuration program could not work it out itself...
"ddcprobe failed"