Stock 7500 won't boot 3.0

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:52:17 -0500

Mr. Dunbar:

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 07:10  AM, Lee Dunbar wrote:
> Stock Power Macintosh 7500/100: Original CPU (601, 100 MHz), 288 megs
> ram (Original 32 megs + 2 @ OWC 128 meg), 1.2 Gig Quantum + added 1.0
> Gig Seagate, Original Apple 600i CDROM drive, no added cards (no IDE,
> no added graphics/video cards), no modem. Apple 12" RGB monitor.

Long ago I installed YDL on a 7500 with few problems (though I haven't
touched it recently). You might consider upgrading the CPU to a PPC 604
at, say, 180-200 MHz (try looking on eBay). Also, if you want to use a
graphical user interface, you will probably want a larger monitor. In
my experience, the KDE and Gnome interfaces aren't happy with anything
smaller than an 800 x 600 monitor. Finally, you might feel a little
cramped with a 1.2 GB hard drive unless you install the minimal
(non-GUI) system.

> I placed the burned YDL 3.0 CDR into the Apple 600i CDROM reader of my
> PowerMac 7500. I shutdown the Mac, waited 5 seconds, powered the mac
> up, and immediately after hearing the chimes of Macintosh happiness,
> but before the grey screen pops on, I pressed and held the "c" key, to
> boot from CDROM. I heard the CDROM drive do a head seek, but then the
> system boots from the hard disk (MacOS 8.1).
> [...]
> I have tried different key combinations: Command-c, command-shift-c,
> command-option-control-c, nothing will boot the YDL CD.

The Yellow Dog Linux installer is *not* a bootable CD. You should read
up on the detailed and explicit installation instructions:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-
single.pdf>

> Today, I returned to the YDL site, and see that YDL is now 3.0.1.

3.0.1 is (reportedly) mostly bugfixes, but 3.0 has been fine for most
of us on this mailing list. YDL 3.0.1 will be made available for
download in several weeks, or you can purchase it now from Terra Soft:

<http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/store/index.php?submit=ydl>

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>