15" iMac (Lamp) install problem

Bill Warren yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:59:20 -0400

--Apple-Mail-2--163668841

This is a great tip ... now I can try YDL again.

I'm having the scrolling horizontal & vertical problems w/ GUI, both
the GUI installer and the first boot after a text install.  I'm having
trouble getting to a command-line environment in which I can edit
/etc/X11/XF86config.  The text based install didn't allow a choice for
graphical or CL boot-up.  How can I interrupt the YDL boot into X
Windows in a mode that will allow me to exit XF86config (I tried
interactive start-up and failed)?  Or can I edit the file from a
CD-startup based "install-rescue" the answer?

Thanks!

Bill

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:20:24 -0500 Steven Faulconer wrote:

> For those that are interested, Slice helped me on IRC to get this
> fixed.
> Adding 'Option  "FlatPanel"' to the Device section of
> /etc/X11/XF86config. Works like a charm!
>
> Steven
>
> Steven Faulconer wrote:
>
>> A little bit ago, Mr. Waite brought up an issue with the 15" iMac
>> >(iLampMac) graphical installation screen. I seem to be having the
>> same >problem. When attempting a graphical installation, YDL boots
>> fine, >though it says that the monitor can not be detected. When the
>> >graphical screen comes up, the monitor is scrolling both
>> horizontally >and vertically. >>I jumped on IRC and spoke with 'vit'
>> who told me to try a text >install. This went quite well and
>> installed everything without >problems. I selected a graphical
>> installation, and configured X and >rebooted. X still does the same
>> thing. >>I've sent in a message to YDL (per Vit's recommendation) but
>> thought >I'd ask here as well. I also attempted 'Xautoconfig' and
>> 'startx' from >a command line login, but same problem. >>Anyone else
>> get this working? >>Thanks. >>Steven
--Apple-Mail-2--163668841

try YDL again.

I'm having the scrolling horizontal & vertical problems w/ GUI, both
the GUI installer and the first boot after a text install.  I'm having
trouble getting to a command-line environment in which I can edit
/etc/X11/XF86config.  The text based install didn't allow a choice for
graphical or CL boot-up.  How can I interrupt the YDL boot into X
Windows in a mode that will allow me to exit XF86config (I tried
interactive start-up and failed)?  Or can I edit the file from a
CD-startup based "install-rescue" the answer?

Thanks!

Bill

<excerpt>For those that are interested, Slice helped me on IRC to get
this fixed.

Adding 'Option  "FlatPanel"' to the Device section of

/etc/X11/XF86config. Works like a charm!

Steven

Steven Faulconer wrote:

<excerpt>A little bit ago, Mr. Waite brought up an issue with the 15"
iMac >(iLampMac) graphical installation screen. I seem to be having
the same >problem. When attempting a graphical installation, YDL boots
fine, >though it says that the monitor can not be detected. When the
>graphical screen comes up, the monitor is scrolling both horizontally
>and vertically. >>I jumped on IRC and spoke with 'vit' who told me to
try a text >install. This went quite well and installed everything
without >problems. I selected a graphical installation, and configured
X and >rebooted. X still does the same thing. >>I've sent in a message
to YDL (per Vit's recommendation) but thought >I'd ask here as well. I
also attempted 'Xautoconfig' and 'startx' from >a command line login,
--Apple-Mail-2--163668841--