Why root?

Ted Parks yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:54:41 -0700

I want to use the disk manager to mount and unmount floppies in my
beige G3 running YDL 3.0.1.

1) I have created /mnt/floppy in /mnt. But when I use vim to add a line
with /dev/fd0 and /mnt/floppy to /etc/fstab, YDL does not remember the
line when I boot up again, even after I have saved it. How do I make
the change to /etc/fstab stick and be recognized?

2) In YDL, why do have to be root to issue the mount command? This is
different from RedHat. What do I change to be able to mount a floppy
from the command line without being root?

3) In general, any help for configuring the beige G3 so I can use disk
manager to mount the floppy?

Thanks,
Ted Parks