Upgrading hard disks in iMac

Richard D. Gill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:34:06 +0200 (CEST)

> I am going to upgrade the hard disk in my iMac (2001 model) to a larger
> one. Is there a way I can take everything that I currently have on the
> existing hard disk and put it into the new one? I only have YDL 3
> installed on that drive. I would like to be able to copy everything,
the
> applications, settings, data etc. to the new one.

Diego, how are the disks formatted? apple or linux?
Do you have a spare external drive so you can copy stuff to a
safe place and put it back later?

If the partitions of interest are hfs, and if you have a mac osx
bootable cdrom, and if you have an external hard drive, you could like me
use the free OS X program "Carbon Copy Cloner" which can copy an entire
mac os partition, preserving everything... And that can be done because
mac osx is basically unix and in unix this kind of thing is more or
less easy...

I'll be interested to hear how to do this "under linux".

Richard