Still can't get anything out of my printer

Robert and/or Irene yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:34:15 -0700

I posted about the following problem (among others) a while back, but I have
still had no luck here, or anywhere else getting a solution:

I run YDL 3.0 on a PM 8600.  The machine has a USB card (Lucent) to which is
attached an Epson SC777 printer.

Kudzu picks up the printer OK and appears to configure it.

I am able to configure the printer OK within whatever that app is called
that you use to configure the printer (I'm not using Linux at the moment so
I can't check).

However when I attempt to print, the job appears in the print queue briefly
and then disappears, but nothing comes out of the printer.

I have tried many things such as using text-only drivers, but I have not
tried installing any spooling software in place of the default CUPS because
I am afraid of making an even bigger mess of my YDL installation.

I have an analogous problem with SANE being unable to find my UMAX Astra
600S SCSI scanner, but I don't know if this is related.

Am I really the only person attempting to use YDL to whom this has happened?
I find it very hard to believe that there isn't a simple solution to this.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Robert