i dont understand...

Matt Pist yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:11:45 -0700

--Apple-Mail-2-348275659

okay, well i really have no clue on how to edit the xf86config file. i
dont have any linux experience whatsoever! i dont even know what the
command is... i tried edit and the file name and nothing works... also,
where do i find this linux live cdrom? what is it? and do i need it to
edit the xf86config file? how do i edit the file? also, the link you
gave says:

"For people who eventually download this config file for installing
Debian on a PowerBook, it works for G4 Powerbooks with 400/500/550/667
MHz processors with ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP 2X video and 1152x768 screen
resolution.  This file will *not* work for G4 800/867/1GHz models with
Radeon 9000 video and 1280x854 screen resolution."

my video card is a GeForce FX Go5200 32MB that has a maximum display of
1024x786. which doesn't match either of the profiles talked about
above. will this file still work?

so far this has been pretty frustrating as ive had video problems with
2 different versions of ydl on two different computers, and have never
even gotten this operating system to boot up into a graphical mode i
can understand... if you could help me through this, id really
appreciate it, because i REALLY want to begin understanding linux...

thanks!
Matt

> near the end of the installation, im prompted for a monitor type, and
> resolution. the problem is after selecting a monitor from the list, it
> prompts me to select a screen resolution, but the only resolution
> available is 1440x990 (i think). i tried selecting it, knowing it
> probably wouldn't work because my monitor only supports a resolution of
> up to 1024x768. of course, on starting up of the GUI, the screen goes
> nutty and i can't barely see anything much less DO anything.

I did a google search on:   powerbook XF86Config
You find a lot of people have had the same problem and some
of them have posted a suitable XF86Config file with good
video settings for _their_ powerbooks.

Also you find that many people experience the problem that they
can't get to a text console to fix things [sometimes referred to
as getting stuck at the Black Wall of Death], and a common solution
is to boot from a linux live cdrom...

http://astcomm.net/pipermail/linux/Week-of-Mon-20030317/002246.html

Richard

[...]

thanks!</smaller>

Matt

<excerpt>near the end of the installation, im prompted for a monitor
type, and

resolution. the problem is after selecting a monitor from the list, it

prompts me to select a screen resolution, but the only resolution

available is 1440x990 (i think). i tried selecting it, knowing it

probably wouldn't work because my monitor only supports a resolution of

up to 1024x768. of course, on starting up of the GUI, the screen goes

nutty and i can't barely see anything much less DO anything.

</excerpt>