PowerTower Pro with no OS

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:57:28 -0600

Mr. Huber:

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 11:20  AM, Jeremy Huber wrote:
> Ok, so I've inherited a PowerTower Pro, and being a Linux freak, I'd
> like to use YDL on it. The catch is that the HDD died, so I have no
> MacOS partition to boot from, nor anything that will partition it to
> the point that I can install the free 7.5.5 or something like that.
> All of the "hacked" versions of Drive Tool that will supposedly let
> you use any drive, I can't get to work.

I assume you have replaced the SCSI hard drive with a newer one -- you
probably want something in excess of 2.5-3 GB for the Yellow Dog Linux
installation.

Yes, Macintosh System 7.5.3 will be sufficient to boot your PowerTower
Pro (I got this information from MacTracker):

<http://www.mactracker.ca>

Also check out Low End Mac:

<http://www.lowendmac.com/power/towerpro.html>

However, you will need a Macintosh to make floppy disks from the images
to install (I don't remember whether there is a CD-ROM image available
for Mac OS 7.5.x):

<http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html#system>

You will have to make a minimal Mac OS install partition (150-200 MB
would suffice), and leave the remainder of the drive unallocated. The
Mac OS 7.5.3 installation disk will have Drive Setup, a utility that
should allow you to partition the drive accordingly (I don't think that
any hacks will be necessary). The way to do this is to create *one*
Macintosh partition, then resize it down to 150 MB; the remaining space
is "unallocated." If you want to use the Macintosh OS at all
(especially the super-nifty Mac-On-Linux that is part of the YDL
install!), you might want a later version of the OS (up to Mac OS 9.1).
eBay would be your best bet, here.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>