mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:17:34 +0100 (CET)

> Please record what you did to set up your kernel -- for the time when I
> have to compile my own kernel, then I will know to ask you for advice!

You can ask for my advice anytime of course  :-)

But there is not much more to tell than what I wrote in my previous
posting on this. The main things are

a) follow the procedure detailed on yellowdog's support page
on the topic of rebuilding the kernel

b) use as initial ".config" file your own  /boot/config-whatever
(which contains the configuration used to build your present kernel)

c) pick up the kernel source AND the Ben Herrenschmidt patch which I
mentioned and apply the patch.

I found it useful to study a chapter on rebuilding the kernel in
a heavy tome on Redhat Linux 7 which I have in my bookcase;
but there are also plenty of web pages with explanation and
more or less detailed advice. It is not so scary if you have an
idea what is going on.

If you need several attempts you should do "make clean" and "make mrproper"
before a new attempt, in order to truly start afresh.

Most important is always to have a way to recover from mistakes.
Don't trash your old kernel before testing the new! Edit yaboot.conf
and do ybin -b ... so that you can boot either from the new or from the
old kernel, as you wish! So I would add to a), b) and c): make sure you
understand yaboot and make sure you know how to boot from a rescue
cdrom e.g the yellowdog install cdrom.

> So, how is the HFS+ support?
Seems excellent.

> Can you mount HFS+ partitions normally?
Yes sir.

> Can they be seen in Konqueror?
Yes indeed.

> Can you drag-and-drop files,
> or do you have to mv/cp from the command line?

That depends on the directory permissions on the hfsplus disk,
which were set up by macosx.

For full access one has to be root. Especially for full write access.
But I can drag and drop files in both directions in "public" areas
of the hfsplus partition. I use sudo cp ... when I am not
allowed to do it as myself. One may have to fix the permissions of
files copied to hfsplus when you are back there in osx, which can be
done with "sudo chown ... "

> And, I assume that resource forks are ignored from the Linux side, right?

Haven't investigated this yet.

Richard