Hahaha... ease of installation 9 out of 10

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:17:32 -0600

Norberto:

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 02:56  PM, Norberto Quintanar wrote:
> Whoooo I'm still ROTFL...
>
> <http://www.osnews.com/printer.php?news_id=4884>

Also, "Credibility: 6.5/10 (stability, bugs, security)."

While I think you are being a *little* harsh in your sarcasm, I do want
to note the following excerpt from Ms. Loli-Queru's review:

"... A more serious problem came later when my 19" monitor was set via
the /etc/X11/XF86Config to do 1400x1050, while I had specifically asked
it to do 1280x1024 during the X configuration in Anaconda. Editing the
XF86Config file with a text editor fixed the problem. Overall, the
installation is a nice experience and works well for the most part. I
don't think that typical Mac users would have any problem with it."

In my experience, "[e]diting the XF86Config file with a text editor"
would be a problem for almost any "typical Mac user" or Windows user
(Ms. Loli-Queru must have fairly distant memories of the Linux learning
curve -- "edit the XF86Config file," indeed!). However, I suspect the
issue she encountered was a Linux/Anaconda issue more than it was a
Yellow Dog issue.

But, why is it that every review I read of a Linux distribution begins
and ends at "ease of installation"? "Oh, it was one of the easiest
installations I have ever encountered," they write. "I only had to
download and compile three video drivers, reconfigure the kernel, edit
seven text files in unconventional locations, and reformat my drive
twice. Really, any novice Wintel luser could have done it."

Don't these reviewers ever use actual applications? Note the presence
or absence of key hardware drivers? Try to install a new program?
Copy-and-paste text between two word processors? Mount a drive as a
non-root user? Tell a laptop to go to sleep?

Pah.

Best wishes,
Clint
(who really likes Yellow Dog Linux as much as he has liked any Linux
distribution)

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>