PM9500/180 dual processor install problems

Dylan Hand yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 11:39:42 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_1B2Q0dJWFNwejyvA6aLH4w)

the BeOS Loader v.4.5 (maybe 4 too, BeOS RC5 uses the 4.5 loader) works
in every OS except 9.0 and up. 8.6 is fine. I also run BeOS on my 9500
180MP (now a G4 400, still have the MP card though, waiting for another
computer to put it in). BeOS is such an amazing OS. If Linux had the
GUI of BeOS on top of the Unix/Linux core, there is no doubt in my mind
that it would be the best platform out there; however, I find Gnome and
KDE to be very lacking on old computers, like the 180MP. This is where
BeOS excels. The GUI works beautifully on my 180MP, even my 160MHz
Performa. Windows refresh while resizing better on BeOS on a 180MP then
Mac OS X on a G3 800.

Good luck with Linux and BeOS. Nice to know there are a few out there
who still use it.
Dylan

On Sep 3, 2003, at 9:09 AM, Matt Emson wrote:

> Okay, so my problem was actually due to booting with the wrong
> kernel.... I
> figured this out by chance, but happened because BootX only remembers
> your
> settings if you click 'save config' and otherwise ignores it (very 'un
> control panel like' to be honest.)... Got the graphical installer now
> and I
> am watching the packeges fly on to my disk as we speak..
>
> I'm also booting from 8.0 rather than 9.1 after panicing because Disk
> Druid
> calimed it wanted to format my BeOS partitions (I clicked 'no' but I
> still
> had to check..) The BeBoot loader only works from 8.x (maybe not 8.6
> iirc)
>
> If I get this up and running I'll shut up, so pray for silence ;-P
>
> Matt

--Boundary_(ID_1B2Q0dJWFNwejyvA6aLH4w)

the BeOS Loader v.4.5 (maybe 4 too, BeOS RC5 uses the 4.5 loader)
works in every OS except 9.0 and up. 8.6 is fine. I also run BeOS on
my 9500 180MP (now a G4 400, still have the MP card though, waiting
for another computer to put it in). BeOS <italic>is</italic> such an
amazing OS. If Linux had the GUI of BeOS on top of the Unix/Linux
core, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be the best platform
out there; however, I find Gnome and KDE to be very lacking on old
computers, like the 180MP. This is where BeOS excels. The GUI works
beautifully on my 180MP, even my 160MHz Performa. Windows refresh
while resizing better on BeOS on a 180MP then Mac OS X on a G3 800.

Good luck with Linux and BeOS. Nice to know there are a few out there
who still use it.

Dylan

<excerpt>Okay, so my problem was actually due to booting with the