Some more useful commands

glenn greenfield yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:24:54 -0700

From: Clinton MacDonald <clint.macdonald@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:17:18 -0500

> Glenn:
>
> On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 03:02  PM, glenn greenfield wrote:
> > [...] To add a directory to your PATH simply execute this:
> >
> > export PATH=$PATH:/name/of/directory
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
> >
> > will add /usr/sbin to your PATH.
>
> Thank you so very much for this bit of priceless information! I have
> been wondering this for so long, but the man pages and my little Unix
> handbook are quite useless on this point (it is a lot like trying to
> learn a language by reading a dictionary that contains only nouns).

hmmm- never thought about it that way before but you're right!

> (And thanks for your patience with Pedro and the rest of us newbies.)
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint
>
> --
> Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint.macdonald@sbcglobal.net>

de nada hombre'

I am but a Linux idiot myself. :)
A few other handy things to know-

man hier = "Description of the file system hierarchy"

When you see this ^ it represents the CTRL key (on x86 anyway)
^l (CTRL+lower case L) = "clear screen"

pwd = "present working directory"
cd = "change to home directory of user"
cd /name/of/directory (self explainatory)
cd - (cd+minus symbol) = "change to the previous directory"
cd .. (cd<space>..) = "back up one level"

history = "show last X CLI entries"
history | less = "display history in scrollable list form" (use <enter> or up/down arrows)
!<number> = "execute history entery number X"

ls = "list files in current directory"
ls -a = "list all files PLUS hidden"
ls -al = "list all files PLUS hidden in long form" (if you want to see permissions, ownership, etc)
ls /etc = "list everything in the directory /etc"
http://www.linuxmail.org/