Windows emulation under YDL

Ken Grunke yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:32:09 -0500

On Sunday 07 September 2003 09:15 pm, you wrote:
> Diego:
>
> On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 07:05  PM, Diego Barros wrote:
> > Is there any way to emulate a Windows OS under YDL?

to which was replied:

> I don't think so. But there is a great project called "Mac-on-Linux"
> that runs the Mac OS (Mac OS 8.6 up to and including Mac OS X) in
> Linux. The Web site says, "MOL is not an emulator but runs runs the OS
> directly without any CPU emulation."
>
> <http://www.maconlinux.org/>
>
> Using MOL you can run almost any Macintosh program that doesn't try to
> hit the hardware directly (for instance, some Control Panels don't
> work). BBEdit and Microsoft Word run particularly well in MOL under Mac
> OS 9.1. And, MOL should already be part of your YDL install. If you can
> find Mac alternatives to your Windows programs, you are in business.
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint

An alternative to an emulator of course is a real Windows box, ethernetting
to Linux with VNC Server installed. VNC Viewer for YDL works much better for
me than it does on OS 9.1. I found the TightVNC rpm compiled for PPC, it
works great.

You don't need a monitor on the PC, just tuck the box out of the way
somewhere. Older PCs can be found cheap on ebay--I found mine in a dumpster.

Now if I could only get VNC and MOL to work at the same time, I'd be in
Triple-OS-in-one-box Heaven ;-)

Ken