YDL 3.0 on eMac

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:31:41 EDT

--part1_16f.239889d5.2c909ddd_boundary

I downloaded and burned the three ISO images and booted from #1.   After
trying a few times, I discovered that the GUI install wouldn't work, and that to
get at the text install I needed to type "install-safe" (at least, based on my
limited understanding of yaboot, etc., that's what I think).   The install
seemed to work just fine, but I can't actually boot into linux, either GUI or
text.   When I try (and I have had to reinstall several times to test this), I
get the first yaboot (I guess) screen which asks me to boot into linux, macosx,
or cd.   Selecting linux takes me to the screen I got from booting the CD
originally, which quickly disappears and the screen goes white with a little black
text in the upper left corner, than black again with white text, which
appears to be listing processes starting and stopping (I think, it disappears so
quickly it's hard to tell), and then the screen goes black and gives a little
flicker, after which nothing happens.   This occurs when I try a GUI install or
to boot into linux in either GUI or text mode.   Any ideas on what is going on
here?

Thanks,
Paul Dorman

--part1_16f.239889d5.2c909ddd_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" F=
AMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">I downloaded and burned the three ISO images=20=
and booted from #1.&nbsp;  After trying a few times, I discovered that the G=
UI install wouldn't work, and that to get at the text install I needed to ty=
pe "install-safe" (at least, based on my limited understanding of yaboot, et=
c., that's what I think).&nbsp;  The install seemed to work just fine, but I=
 can't actually boot into linux, either GUI or text.&nbsp;  When I try (and=20=
I have had to reinstall several times to test this), I get the first yaboot=20=
(I guess) screen which asks me to boot into linux, macosx, or cd.&nbsp;  Sel=
ecting linux takes me to the screen I got from booting the CD originally, wh=
ich quickly disappears and the screen goes white with a little black text in=
 the upper left corner, than black again with white text, which appears to b=
e listing processes starting and stopping (I think, it disappears so quickly=
 it's hard to tell), and then the screen goes black and gives a little flick=
er, after which nothing happens.&nbsp;  This occurs when I try a GUI install=
 or to boot into linux in either GUI or text mode.&nbsp;  Any ideas on what=20=
is going on here?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
Paul Dorman</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERI=
F" SIZE=3D"2"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_16f.239889d5.2c909ddd_boundary--