YDL Install Problems

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:39:42 -0400

> Restarting into the system presented me with "local host login" (What
> does
> local host mean? I assume this is not the main command prompt?).

>  Again I was presented
> with "local host login". The only command this understands is root.

"Local host" is simply the currently logged in user. That might be
root--and for many configuration tasks, must be. However, you also have
the option to log in as the "normal user" you had the opportunity to
create when you installed. This is the account you should be working in
most of the time. If you did not create this user account at install,
you can do so any time using the "useradd" command. Type     man
useradd      for more info.

> I do not
> understand the next stage in the instructions on p 11,
> "pico/etc/inittab",
> Where do I type this and isthis the exact instruction? Please bear
> with me
> on this, as a long time Mac user the text line freaks me out -I have
> never
> come across this before and it is appallingly difficult to interact
> with. I
> could open the pico editor by typing "pico" at the root prompt but at
> read
> file the response was no such file when I typed in etc/inittab.

If you simply type    pico [enter]    at the command prompt, you simply
open the pico text editor (into a blank page, as it were). If you want
to edit the     /etc/inittab       file, however, you should type
 >exactly< this at the command prompt:
		pico /etc/inittab
and then press [enter]  >>Note the space between "pico" and "/etc. .
."<<
You now have that file open, and can make the changes recommended (in
this case, changing the run-level). After making the change, press Ctrl
+ x simultaneously, respond "y" plus [enter] when prompted whether to
save the changes. Pico then saves the change to the file, and you are
back at the command prompt. Congratulations!--you have just made your
first change to a configuration in your system. That's what choosing
Linux as your OS is all about--having the control to determine how
 >your< system is configured.

Please note, though, that with that power comes the potential of
screwing up things pretty fundamentally! If you make a mistake in
altering a file, it still gets altered, and then processes that depend
on that file will not function properly.

Keep at it--it gets easier!     Good luck.    --Harvey