ibook won't sleep in KDE?

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:20:44 -0500

Edith:

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 01:08  PM, Edith Frost wrote:
> "service", "pmud" and "pbuttonsd" are all the /sbin folder -- I added
> that folder to my path so I could always reach that stuff without
> typing /sbin first.
>
>      export PATH=$PATH:/sbin
>
> Just typing that will make it work temporarily. I also added that line
> to my .bashrc file (in my home folder) to make it work after a reboot.
> I'm not sure if that's really the proper place to put it, but it does
> the trick.

Thanks -- what an incredibly useful trick!

Anymore, almost everything I type in the console requires (a) root
privileges, and (b) a command from the /sbin directory. Most user-land
productivity activities can be done using one of the GUI tools or
applications. This "export PATH" command will be incredibly useful.

On second thought, since my goal with running Yellow Dog is to learn as
much as I can about the True Linux(TM) experience, I might not change
my PATH just yet. It will serve as a reminder of the under-the-hood
complexities Linux still holds.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>