A thanks to Clint MacDonald and the su '-' option

mascarasnake yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
21 Sep 2003 14:51:42 -0400

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 14:05, Clinton C.MacDonald wrote:
> Macarasnake:
>
> On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 09:15  AM, mascarasnake wrote:
> > Thanks muchly for the little tidbit on the su otion.
>
> You are quite welcome. As I wrote, I have no idea why it works, but it
> works.
>
> > This is the official explanation from the man pages on the '-' option
> > under 'su':
> >
> > -, -l, --login # make the shell a login shell
> >
> > It Appears to just tell the machine "No, really, I am the
> > administrator. Really, I am."
>
> In other words, it's just Linux -- don't question it, just accept it.
> ;-)
>
> > Any idea how I can make MOL recognize that drive? It's a seperate
> > physical drive running OS 9.1 (OldWorld System) This is the Disk I run
> > Xboot From. MOL will recognize My Startup CD, But not the other HDD.
> > Can I manually enter the info in the /fstab file?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "that drive," but if its a Mac OS 9.1
> partition, it can be one of two formats, HFS ("Mac OS Standard" in
> Drive Setup) or HFS+ ("Mac OS Extended"). If it's HFS+, there isn't a
> reliable way to mount it, although there are some alpha-quality tools
> to support HFS+:
>
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hfsplus>
>
> HFS is much easier. In fact, when you first partition your Mac for YDL,
> it can be a good idea to include an HFS partition because both MOL and
> YDL can access it (though not at the same time!). On my setup, my Mac
> HFS partition is hda10:
>
> [1] in a console, get superuser privileges ("su")
> [2] using vi or pico, edit the file /etc/fstab
> [3] add the line --
>
> /dev/hda10    /mnt/macos    hfs    noauto,user,rw    0 0
>
> [4] from the console, as a regular user, type "mount /mnt/macos"
> [5] Voilą!
>
> The "noauto" prevents the partition from mounting at startup; the
> "user" allows user access (why this isn't the default is beyond me),
> the "rw" lets me have read and write access. According to Bill Longman,
> "The 0 0 thingies are bits that the file system checker uses on startup
> and for backup options, if I recall."
>
> Good luck!
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint

Thanks again, Clint. It is formatted in hfs+ - figures. I'll give what
you suggested a whirl as soon as I get LISa configured correctly.

                               Bossa Nova

                              mascarasnake
                        dontdrill@earthlink.net