ibook won't sleep in KDE?

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:40:38 -0500

Sean:

Thanks for the detailed explanation:

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 08:58  PM, Sean Kelley wrote:
> /etc/profile is sourced when you login. If you are logging in as root,
> certain things will be done such as adding /sbin to your PATH.
>
> [... very detailed and smart explanation snipped ...]
>
> It is checking to see if you are ROOT by invoking id -u. Then it is
> adding those directories to your PATH.

So (let me get this straight), there is a file, /etc/profile, that
defines lots of login variables (is this only for bash, or for all
shells?). This file is smart enough that it can define some defaults
for root, and others for regular users. Very cool!

> It also is sourced when you login as your username, but since you are
> not root certain things are not done.

Aha. Then I suppose if there were new features I wanted all users to
enjoy (say, a new PATH), then there is probably a way to include them
in this file, right? Very nice.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint
(who wants to fly like Superuser)

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>