15" Alu Install Issue

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:02:34 +0000

I tried installing YDL 3.0 on my new PBG4 15" Alu w/Superdrive using
the 'install' switch. It halted saying that it could not open the display.

I found this odd because it detected the display as PowerBook G4 (2002), and
identified the display driver (ATI Radeon Mobility 9600) as OF Compatible
(which I took to mean Open Firmware). After this error, the screen says it is
safe to reboot.

My question is, is there an update or way to fix the display detection issue?
In other words, can I use the 'install-safe' switch to install in text mode,
then apply some kind of update that will allow X-Win (I'm guessing X is having
some kind of problem, I could be wrong) to work?

I will gladly try again and report exact verbiage of the error messages if
someone on the list would be able to use that to diagnose the issue I am
having. I didn't know if it was caused by YDL needing an update to work with
the new PowerBooks, or if there was a workaround.

This is my first post to the list, so if I didn't give enough information or
explain myself clearly, just let me know what information is needed for a
proper request so I don't make more newbie errors. I'd really like to get YDL
to run on my PB.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Dave