tftp server problems

Neil Leeder yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:44:43 -0400

I'm having trouble getting the tftp server to work and I'm looking for any
help.

I've installed the package (yum install tftp-server), which created the
/etc/xinetd.d/tftp file. I did "chkconfig tftp on", which added the
"disable = no" line to that file.  I restarted xinetd
(/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart).  But if I go to another *ix system and
attempt to tftp to my YDL system, all requests timeout, as if the tftp
daemon isn't running.

Other things to note:  I created the /tftpboot directory, it has global +rx
permissions and I placed a small file there with global read permission -
that's the file I'm trying to get with tftp. /tftpboot is set as the
default root directory for tftp in the /etc/xinetd.d/tftp config file.
I've checked that the standard tftp entries are in /etc/services.  I also
installed the telnet server, using pretty much the same steps that I did
for tftp, and telnet works fine, so I have some confidence that xinetd is
working as expected.  Oh yes, I checked that the tftp client on my *ix
system works fine with a tftpd server on an unrelated RedHat system, so
that's not a problem.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Thanks.