MOL and hfs+

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:19:08 -0500

Macaroni-snake:

On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 09:18  AM, mascarasnake wrote:
> How can I get MOL to recognize my OS9 partition?. MOL tells me that it
> can't find a mount point. It's a separate HDD in hfs+ format, and I
> really, really, really want to avoid having to reformat the thing as
> hfs standard.

Hmmm.... That's a poser, since my MOL recognizes all my Mac OS HFS and
HFS+ partitions "out-of-the-box."

Here are a few troubleshooting ideas (all untested):

[1] I assume you can see the partitions normally when booted from Mac
OS 9, right? You could try rebuilding the desktop in Mac OS 9.

[2] Is the OS 9 partition mounted, but just not visible on the desktop?
I have had items hidden by being too far to the left or right, and thus
not visible. Try clicking on the desktop, typing command-A (select
all), then unselect everything visible except one item (like the
Trashcan). Move the Trashcan around and see if the errant volume icon
shows up.

[3] While booted in Mac OS 9, create an alias to the errant volume and
place it on the desktop. Then, reboot into Linux, start MOL, and double
click on the desktop alias.

[4] Boot into Linux. Go to a full console (ctrl-opt-F2). Login, then
"su" to become root. Insert a Mac OS 9 install CD in the drive. Type
"startmol" at the console. MOL will recognize the CD, and start from
that instead of the Mac OS partition. Reinstall Mac OS 9 from the CD.

These are all from the top of my head -- I really don't know why you
cannot see your OS 9 partitions, since mine worked without issue.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>