Newbie seeks saint for booting problems

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:49:05 -0500

Mr. Snyder:

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 03:47  PM, Daniel Snyder wrote:
> I'm installing Version 2.3 on a Blue and White G3, one of the first
> Blue and Whites to hit the market. It's a 300 MHz, with a 6 gig HD and
> 320 megs of RAM. Because I only want Linux on the machine, I was doing
> the single system install straight from the first CD. However, when I
> started it up, I immediately ran into two problems:

A Blue & White G3 should run Yellow Dog Linux just fine. There are a
few caveats if you have two drives installed, but you don't mention
that as an issue. But, why don't you update to at least YDL version 3.0
(and 3.0.1 should be available very soon). There were a large number of
issues fixed in version 3.0, especially issues with installation (and
3.0.1 fixes even more issues). This might be your best solution.

> 1. I lost all power to my keyboard. This was remedied by using my SCSI
> keyboard from my old Quadra, but it may bring to bear on the second
> problem;

This doesn't quite make sense to me (for instance, there is no such
thing as a SCSI keyboard). Do you mean that you had a USB keyboard that
didn't work, and that you tried replacing it with an ADB keyboard (the
Blue & White is one of the last machines Apple made that still
supported ADB keyboards)? Most users report that almost all keyboards
work with YDL. Perhaps you have another issue going on here. Can you
borrow another USB keyboard to try?

> 2. Rather than a splash screen, I was presented with a black screen
> with a cursor. After a moment, I was presented with the following:

Unfortunately, I have only installed YDL on older machines than yours,
and have no experience with the yaboot system. Hopefully, someone else
on this list can give you advice on that. Sorry!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>