can't partition HD for installation

Julian Opificius yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:11:17 -0500

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:01:20 -0400
Brent <brent@YLD.net> wrote:

> I have an old 7200/90 that I am unmothballing. I picked up some extra RAM and
> a 4.2 gig hard drive to that I could make it a YDLinux machine. I'm going to
> leave the 512 meg original HD as-is and leave MacOS 9.1 on it. The RAM and 4.2
>
> gig hard drive have been installed and are working fine. The 4.2 gig HD is
> going to be only linux.
>
> Now the problem - when I am working through the anaconda installation, after
> 4 or 5 screens  you come to the part of the installation where you partition
> the hard drive. The automatic partition does NOT work. OK, no problem, I'll
> use disk druid. Didn't work - when I select a partition and try to select
> Apple Bootstrap from the File System Type, there was no Apple Bootstrap to
> select. In fact, there was only ext2, ext3, and swap.
>

> What format should I use in MacOS disk setup? What am I missing when it comes
> to configuring my drives during the initial install?
>
> Help?

Brent,
On my first few attempts I found I could partition and install, but couldn't
boot. That was really irritating, because the install took the better part of an
hour on my G4/350.

I didn't get anywhere till I used the third option - pDisk - to initialize the
partition table. You have to have an "Apple" partition, not just the "Apple
Bootstrap" - a fact that is not made terribly clear. It goes in before the Apple
Bootstrap partition.

Using pDisk, I initialized the partition table, and exited. It complained about
not being able to write something or another - don't remember now. However,
it wrote the "apple partition, and nce I had that, everything went smoothly
using autopartition.

I don't remember - is a 7200 and Old World machine? That'll affect your boot
process, as I understand, but I'm by no means an expert.

HTH.
--
julian.