linux tips?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:02:43 -0500

Mr. Sullivan:

David Sullivan wrote:
> i'm new to YDL/linux, learning it. i like the kandalf's tips thing that tells
> you about KDE, is there something like this for general linux/unix tips? where
> can i find it?

Do you want books? If you are new to Linux, you almost certainly should
own at least one Linux reference book. There are many good references to
choose from. I have _Running Linux_, by Welsh, Dalheimer, and Kaufman,
O'Reilly & Associates, 1999 (ISBN: 1-56592-469-X), but almost any book
from O'Reilly will be good. I have been poking through _Moving to Linux:
Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!_ by Marcel Gagné (Addison-Wesley,
2004, ISBN: 0-321-15998-5). Gagné has a very entertaining style, though
the book falls short of being a complete reference.

Web sites? There are literally thousands! Do a Google search using
"Linux tips," and you will be overwhelmed with tips.

For little tips programs, I know that Konsole (the KDE command line
console) has tips that show on startup. There may be others (perhaps a
more seasoned Linux hand knows of them).

> also, how would i add a program to startup automatically like this?

If you are using KDE, poke around in the Start menu (with the little
Yellow Dog) until you find the KDE Control Center (unfortunately, I am
looking at PC Linux rather than my Yellow Dog machine, so it probably
has a slightly different name -- you will have to explore a little).
Under "Components," click on "Session Manager." There is a radio button
that will allow you to "Restore" your session -- essentially, have
programs start automatically at login.

If you are using Gnome, a dialog box with similar choices pops up when
you log off.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: