yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #955 - Message 2: Gentoo too new

Suzy yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:18:42 -0500

--------------050503000909010704080805

Hello
Total newby here and I have YDL running on a G3 266 MT SCSI HD  just
fine. The machine has been struck by lightening twice and just keeps on
ticking. I swapped out the original 3 gig ATA (IDE) HD for a bigger one
and it was reformatted and placed in my daughter's much younger Gateway
when her HD failed. The Apple branded drive is running just fine. Her
new Dell died three months after she got it. No surprise to me who used
to do tech support for a large university and saw this all the time. The
install for YDL, once I figured it out, only took about two hours. The
problem is the install instructions. They are very poorly written. I
write this type of stuff all the time and can see how the manual might
be very confusing to someone. It needs to be rewritten by some one, with
more experience than me, that is an instructional designer/technical
writer. If you are really getting rid of those machines I'm sure there
are people around just itching to put together a cluster ...
Suzy

Andrew wrote:

>--snip--
>

>>In contrast, I bought Yellow Dog commercial system, followed the
>>instructions exactly and  I was not able to load on any Apple
>>computer.  I have several G3's, lots of old powermacs, etc.  I tried
>>several of these.  As a result of my failure and what the rest of you
>>guys obviously find so easy, I am recommending to a nonprofit where I
>>serve on their board, with lots of powerbooks, not to migrate to
>>YellowDog, which unfortunately I find "NRFPT".  I am also making note
>>of this caveat in my upcoming book.  As for the Apple hardware, I am
>>scrapping those systems as junk.
>>

>--sniped, too
>
>I am truly astonished you couldn't successfully install YD on *any* of
>the Macs you had available. YD is, indeed, the very first GNU/Linux
>distribution I am really using as my everyday system. I tried
>Gentoo2004.0, Debian3.0r1 and LinuxPPC 2000Q4. None of them gave me
>satisfaction: Gentoo couldnt use my SCSI disk, Debian felt unpolished
>and I got trouble with X11 server, LinuxPPC was, to say the least, quite
>buggy... I got a problem with YellowDog 3, too. Same as Gentoo: no scsi
>working. I need the scsi as the IDE is too small for a complete install,
>like I use. Fortunatly, Anaconda was able to install stuffs on the SCSI.
>A 5 seconds /etc/fstab editing and I was up and running. I could have
>succeed with Gentoo, too, but I found YellowDog to fit my needs
>perfectly: A desktop that just work, fast and slick, on my getting-old
>300Mhz Mac. I personaly put this distro on TOP of my prefered distros.
>
> A friend tried Mandrake, RedHat, SUSE among a couple others on his
>build-by-himself x86. All the parts have been replaced at least once. He
>is no cheap-guy; he gets the 'best-of' only. He must have spent +5000$
>on this box. I owned 4 Macintosh and the only broken part I *ever* had
>is a MATSHITA SCSI disk. I kinda destroyed a G3: running it overclocked
>without *any* fans (not even the power-supply one) open-case for almost
>2 years. It stopped working after I left a window open on a rainy day.
>Stupid me!  I also blew the speaker on the LC475 twice. Back to our x86:
>He found them all 'unusable' and heck, none of them would have his
>winmodem to log on the net. He's been amazed to see I got a Linux
>distribution fully functional, with all my devices working (this include
>a JAZ, a CD-R, a Scanner, a firewire card, a USB add-on card and a
>IDE/ATA to SCSI bridge but I've seen more on a single box) within a day
>(installing everything from CDs took almost 5 hours). Considering I had
>no experience at all with GNU/Linux (beside how to setup BootX) You
>mentioned 9 years of experiences with GNU/Linux? I guess your out of
>luck.
>
>I say thumbs up to TerraSoft!
>
>0.02$
>-Andrew

--------------050503000909010704080805

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hello<br>
Total newby here and I have YDL running on a G3 266 MT SCSI HD&nbsp; just
[...]
a cluster ...<br>
Suzy<br>
Andrew wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">--snip--
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">In contrast, I bought Yellow Dog commercial system, followed the