Install Issues (YDL version 3.0.1) Long Post - Please Read!

Irena and Richard Jenkins yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:03:34 +1000

Hello people...

For some little time I have been trying to install YDL on an iMac machine.
Let me give you some of the background.

iMac 350MHz (slot-loading cdrom)
Memory enhanced to 256Meg
MacOS 9.0 installed on first partition
128Meg of swap partition organised
30 Meg of boot partition organised (HFS) (formatted by Mandrake installer)
approximately 3.2 Gig of ext2 partition for install

Software to be installed:   YDL version 3.0.1 [sirrius] (taken from a local
server).  Date of the file appears to be 11/11/2003.

This machine has had a successful install of YDL version 2.3 ... but I would
like a more up-to-date operating system ... with better security. [BTW have
you run 'Shields Up' on an older linux machine?  - it gives lots and lots of
red comments showing open ports to the internet!]

I have also had successful installs of Debian 3.0 (hiss!!!) and Mandrake
8.2/9.1 (double hiss!!!) on this machine.  I want basically a client internet
computer for mail, surfing ... with some office programs to assist me with
letter-writing, etc.

Now to my issue....

Disk 1 boots in the normal way and the install proceeds to the loading of
anaconda.

Bug #1:  Despite having ample memory and having my iMac screen successfully
probed,  ... the gui install fails and the machine drops back to a text
install.  Is the gui install buggy??

The install dialogue continues with the selection of language for install,
keyboard, mouse (I chose 1-button USB generic), type of install (I chose
'Personal Desktop').

I wanted to use the previous partitions ... so some work with DiskDruid
resulted in the following...

/hda9		3009 Meg       Apple (HFS)
/hda10                  30 Meg       Apple Bootstrap
//hda11                128Meg	      Linux Swap
/hda12              3362 Meg        Root File system (format as ext2)

The machine asks permission to format both hda11 and hda12.  I then choose to
install Yaboot onto the Boot partition.  No special items are passed onto the
kernel at boot time.

I identify the hda9 partition will be mounted as /apple and choose eth0 to be
brought up at boot time using DHCP/Boot as required.  Medium security is
chosen.  I choose to install Australian English (our spellings are different)
and make it the default language.

There follows some cdrom activity and the next screen is as follows:-

An unhandled exception has occurred.  It is most likely a bug.  Copy the text
and send it to http://bugs.terrasoftsolutions.com.  Hence this email.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/anaconda",line 701, in ?
  intf.run(id,dispatch,configFileData)
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/text.py",line 430, in
  run
  rc=apply(win,(self.screen, ) +args
File
  "/usr/lib/anaconda/textw/timezone_text.py", line
89,in __call__
    self.1.setCurrent (default)
File
  "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/snack.py" line
100, in setCurrent
  self,.w.listboxSetCurrent (self.item2key[item])
Key Error: America New_York

at this point I can either safely reboot or go into a degug mode.  I have
tried the text install with no change in outcome.  I tried offering the
kernel a video=atyfb128 statement to matchup with my 128Meg Rage video card.
Same result!  I tried leaving just US English as the language install.  Still
won't get past the stage referred to above.  I even tried leaving the mouse
selection ... well anything's worth a try isn't it!  Choosing other
instrallation choices like workstation provided no change in outcome.

As an experiment I again tried the install process tonight ... this time
letting YDL Disk Druid create three new partitions after deleting the current
partitions ( a swap of 256Meg, an Apple Bootstrap of 1 Meg and the balance of
the drive >3 Gig for the root directory).  I got the same result.

Is the anaconda file date 11/11/2003 known to be buggy?  Do other G3 iMac
users have problems with dual-booting in their YDL 3.0.1 installs?   Someone
suggested that 3.2 Gig was not enough sopace for a YDL install ... but surely
this can't be true?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Richard

--
Irena & Richard Jenkins     VK1NDV & VK1RJ
Canberra, AUSTRALIA